It time for another Secret Pal exchange! I'm posting this questionnaire for my Secret Pal.
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I love Rowan and Debbie Bliss yarns. I love alpaca (Blue Skye, Honey Lane Farms), Malabrigo, Socks that Rock from Blue Moon, Sundara yarns, Mountain Colors, Koigu. I like natural fibers - wool, wool/cotton blends, silk, alpaca, etc...
I don't like novelty or acrylic yarns. *Please no acrylic*
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have a plastic bin/drawer that I store all of the needles & accessories I'm not currently using.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I've been knitting for about 15 years now. I took a class at the LYS when I was in college. I would consider my skill level to be a high-level intermediate. There are still some techniques I haven't tried.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
5. What's your favorite scent?
I like most citrus scents, vanilla & lavendar (not necessarily together).
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I do, I do! I like chocolate of course. Milk chocolate is my favorite. My very favorite candy are Cadbury Mini-Eggs - it's seasonal - you can only get them around Easter time (now!). I have to restrain myself from eating 10 bags this time every year. So far, so good!
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
Just knitting. I'm afraid spinning would take too much time away from knitting, so I won't let myself go there. I like to cook, but haven't had much time lately. I work at Williams-Sonoma, so that passion gets fed almost everyday.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like rock - alternative & classic. I love U2, Pete Yorn, Cold Play, Radio Head. I also like what my husband calls "chick music" - Tori Amos, Natalie Merchant, Jewel, Traci Chapman. Yes, my computer can play MP3s. Plus, I've been enjoying a new Ipod that I got for Christmas.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
My favorite color is red. I also like different shades of apple or lemongrass green. And blue-greens. I really love color, so there's not a color I can't stand. I tend to like more muted or earthy colors versus bright, primary ones. But there's always an exception here and there.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Married, no children, one cat named Nikko.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I wear scarves and hats when the weather is cold, which is seldom here in Southern Cal. I like gloves & mittens. I made several pairs of fingerless gloves this past year, which made nice gifts. I don't wear ponchos.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I like knitting sweaters. Baby sweaters are the best because they're quicker to finish and they're super cute. I also like having a smaller project to work on, like a purse, scarf or gloves. I'm going to knit my first pair of socks soon!
13. What are you knitting right now?
I'm knitting Sahara in a varigated red yarn from Brooks Farm and a Debbie Bliss cardigan pattern in gray.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Circular. A friend let me try out her KnitPick Options needles and I fell in love. I bought myself a set and prefer knitting with them over anything else.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Yep - I just bought one last month!
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
Ugh. I'm too embarrassed to say. Let's just say it's years old, but not in the double digits.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
Thanksgiving & Christmas. I really like any holiday/reason to celebrate!
19. Is there anything that you collect?
Yarn. Knitting books. Cook books.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Barbara Walkers Treasury books (I have the first one), anything by Elizabeth Zimmermann (I only have Knitting Without Tears), Yarn Harlot's Knitting Rules. I have subscriptions to Interweave Knits & Knitter's & Vogue Knitting.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I recently took a class on Fair Isle, which was a lot of fun to do. I'm going to make a hat as my first Fair Isle project. I still want to learn how to do steeks. And socks.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I'm a sock yarn buyer! I still haven't made a pair, but that's my goal this year. I keep buying the yarn!
23. When is your birthday?